Wednesday, 1 October 2014

It's Autumn time

I absolutely love Autumn. Yesterday on the train on the way way to work I looked out the window to see mist filled fields and a beautiful orange sunrise. Although the days are unseasonably warm, the early mornings feel like October.

Two of the things I love most are the glorious shades of red, orange, yellow and brown in the leaves and the shiny brown conkers from the horse chestnut trees. 

Last weekend I took two of my little grandchildren (aged 5 & 3) for a long walk and we collected leaves, acorns and feathers and took them home to,make pictures. I was totally inspired by their artwork to make my own piece of work based on our finds and the things I see on my journey into school everyday.


I love Keat's Ode to Autumn, it has been one of my favourites since I studied it for my English Literature class in school, many, many years ago now! 


This is the front of the configuration box, done in various shades o distress paints and the leaves are red and brown archival inks.


The telephone wires are covered with birds on their way to migrating at the moment and I love the black archival ink here against the oranges, yellows and browns of the distress inks, which  reminds me of them. I used a lot of Aged Mahogany, which I don't use very often. My back garden is covered in dandelion seed heads and although I really should do some weeding, my grandchildren LOVE blowing the seeds and making wishes.


On my walk with my grandchildren we went to the local lake and the dragonflies were huge and I loved watching them dip in and out of the banks of the river but feeling sad that very soon they would be gone for another few months.

.
The sycamore leave is a real one. Collected on my walk


I love the colours of this leaf. I used Tim Holtz speciality stamping paper, black archival ink and watered down distress stains. I stamped the leaf and then cut it out before inking it.


These little leaves were hand cut from adhesive backed gold foil (Silhouette brand), I then used various alcohol inks to add the autumn colours. The photos do not do these little leaves justice, because they really do look very pretty in real life.

I am entering this configuration box into the following challenges:

Crafty Creations Challenges in the "Use orange" challenge 
Ruby's Rainbow Autumn Leaves challenge
Vintage Journey "The Colours of Autumn" challenge