Monday, 11 August 2014

Something natural

5 of my grandchildren were around my house this afternoon, now as much as I love them, and I really do, 5 children all aged between 18 months and 5 years can be just a little noisy and so after a couple of hours I escaped to the quiet of my bedroom and my craft space.

Yesterday I saw that the new challenge on Ink on My Fingers was "Natural colours and elements" and today I had an email to say that the new challenge on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "Scratched Up". I knew I only had a short time to make something and so I was pretty happy with the project I made.

It was made on 6 inch sq mdf board, which I edged with a couple of coats of different colour distress paints and then I sanded the edges before using Walnut Stain distress ink on them.

The background paper is from Tin Holtz' Wallflower paper and I cut it down so it was smaller than the mdf board. I sanded the edges of the paper too and then added ink to the edges of that.

The framework was cut from patterned paper, inked with different shades of brown and covered with Modge Podge. Once it had dried, I then sanded bits of the frame and added Walnut stain over those parts.

The leaves and flowers are from some dried flowers I had in a flower press. I ran them through my Xyron sticker maker, which worked reasonably successfully, although I had t stick some of the leaves on by hand.

I then stamped the grass and flowers at the bottom of the plaque twice, once in green and then again n brown. I also stamped the bird and butterfly, both of which had some pink distress stain added to echo the pink in the dried flowers. Finally, I added the ribbon, wordband and string.

The frame looks really shiny in the photo, but it doesn't look too shiny in "real life".