Saturday 5 July 2014

Pompeii

Pompeii may seem like an odd title for a post on stamping, but hopefully all will become clear.

A Vintage Journey have a challenge to create something using all the stamps in a set. I have just bought Tim Holtz' Stampeers Anonymous Classics number 7 and when I saw the challenge I thought it would be a great stamp set to use on an ATB.

I made up the box, covering the joints in Washi tape and gold Rub n Buff and then cut 5 3x3 pieces of manilla cardstock and used Rangers Dandelion archival ink to stamp the images onto the cards. On some of the sides I just used bits of a stamp and on others I used the same stamp more than once to fill the card up.

Once this was done, I added Tea Dye, Mustard Seed and Scattered Straw Distress Stains to my craft mat and spritzed with water. I pulled each card through this and dried with a heat gun.

Now this is where Pompeii comes in to it because there was something about the colour of the cards combined with the stamps that really reminded me of my trip to Pompeii last year. One of the cards looked like the cobblestones in the streets, whilst others, such as the one with a column and the one that ended up looking like wallpaper or wall paintings both reminded me of the remnants of decoration that could still be seen in some of the ruined houses.

For some reason, this made me think of the "Grand Tours" people in the past used to make around Europe and so I started to stamp things that could be related to that idea. Hence the Victorian men, who might have gone on one of the tours. Pens for writing their experiences, the compass to signify the journey and the bike a symbol of travel and transport. I used the verse "The impossible is often the untried" to show how these people were pioneers in travel etc.

This was a perfect challenge for using Tim's products and I am really happy with the way the box turned out.









5 comments:

  1. Lovely box Jackie- I really adore your colours and the background effects you have created on the cardstock. Beautiful tones. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful box Jackie!!!!!! I agree with Nikki....great tones. We are so lucky to have all these amazing stamps available to us. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story to show your creation process for this wonderful box! love the colors and stampings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the entire thing Jackie - I especially like the way you did the pen nibs. Great job and thanks for traveling with us at A Vintage Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you're really happy with this little box Jackie, it turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey and well done for using all the stamps in a set, that was a real challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete