Friday 4 July 2014

Water colouring an ATB

The latest challenge at the compendium of curiosities blog was to use Tim Holtz' Distress water colouring technique. A couple of days ago I had a delivery of different papers and stamps and I decided to have a shell theme for this project, which I intend to enter into the challenge. I am also going to enter it to the That's Crafty challenge which has the theme of Beside the Sea.

I have been wanting one of the Sizzix ABT dies (that's not what they are called, but their proper name escapes me right now), but I haven't managed to track down a stockist here in the UK who have any in stock. So, I decided to make a template of my own and then cut it out on my Silhouette Cameo. I was really pleased with the results, although next time I think I will add some tags along the edges to give the cube more stability.

My box was made out of thin card and I went around the edges with some washi paper, which I then covered with a layer of patina coloured Rub and Buff. Then I covered that in an uneven layer of antique cold Rub and Buff, which I then sanded so that some of the patina colour was showing through and some areas looked as though they had been missed out.

I stamped various shell stamps in archival inks, including Watering Can, Tree Branch and Saffron onto watercolour card (sadly I didn't have any of the TIm Holtz one, so just used what was available). I then cut the shells out and used Tim's technique for the watercolour effect.

I used some paper from Prima for the background. I cut 3 inch squares of paper and put a light layer of Vintage Photo DI along the edges. These were then glued onto the ABT. I added the cut out shells and the sentiment, along with a few embellishments and "Hey Presto" here is my completed project.











I am going to enter this into the CCC 3 challenge 

2 comments:

  1. What a fab ATB! Love the watercolored shells on each side! Makes me want to be at the beach! Thanks so much for joining us in the watercolory challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little altered box and lovely stamped and watercolored shells. I like how you added some real ones too. Thanks for playing along in the CC3 Challenge.

    ReplyDelete