Sunday, 18 May 2014

More glitter and a Tim Holtz tag technique

After my attempts earlier this week, I said that I still thought glitter wasn't for me. I think part of the problem was seeing how to add it to my tags or layouts and how to make it look nice! Then yesterday I had an email - I subscribe to several blogs via email and always look forward to seeing them - this one was from Richele Christensen at the California Art Girl site and it was an article all about Distress Glitter and it was brilliant!

Also yesterday, I sat down to try and start this year'sTim Holtz 12 tags for 2014 - a little late I know, and I looked at February's and thought I didn't want to do hearts as it is no longer Valentine's month. So here is the tag I made. I love the background colours and the effect of the embossing on the stars. I even like the chalkboard, which gave me no end of problems as I kept heating the embossing just that little bit too much and I liked the glitter on the 4 stars I added. What I don't like though is that I didn't properly think through the placement of the stars I added and how to make them standout and not clash with the background. I think that it all looks a bit messy :(


So this morning I tried again. This time I decided to use a 6x6 piece of card and stick it to one of the pieces of MDF I have. Again, I really love the background. I used Tattered Rose  and Pumice Stone stains and the harlequins were inked with Victorian Velvet, Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry.

The piece of card is stamped with various Tim Holtz stamps using archival inks in Watering Can, Rose Madder and Magenta Hue. The background for this was also Tattered Rose and Pumice Stone.

The fleur de lisle was cut from a piece of card embossed using Tim Holtz's and Sizzix Alterations Paris folder. I then covered it with Pumice Stone Distress Glitter. Once it was dry I inked it with pumice stone and Worn Liptick, but when I stuck it on, it didn't stand out enough Nd so I added some black soot ink too.

Finally, I dyed some muslin and an oddment of ribbon using tattered rose and pumice stone stain and added it to the board, finishing it off with a word band. Phew!



I am going to add the Paris piece to the Compendium of Curiosities 3 challenge, where the theme is to use Distress Glitter.

The challenge is being sponsored by the Funkie Junkie boutique this time and I really do recommend you take a look as the site sells lots of really beautiful things, many of which I haven't seen available in the U.K.